This 3 days advanced level hands-on course is designed for the horse handler involved hippotherapy sessions as well as the equine specialist or owner interested in learning how to teach a horse to long line. The horse handler can be a PATH Instructor, equine specialist, horse trainer, therapist or volunteer who is part of the hippotherapy team or horse person who has basic lungeing and ground skills. The curriculum may be used only under conditions set by AHA Inc.
Horse Handlers in HPOT Programs, PATH Instructors, Equine Specialists, Horse Trainer, Volunteer, Therapist or any horse person with basic ground handling and lungeing skills.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of all safety aspects of lungeing and long lining.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the fit, care and application of all the equipment.
- Ability to produce quality movement on straight lines and school figures when long lining.
- Demonstrate ability to grade movement at the walk on long lines.
- Understand the concept of starting a horse on long lines.
- Understand the principles of alternative leading methods.
- Demonstrate the ability to teach a novice person to correctly lead a horse for a hippotherapy session.
Faculty to Contact: